Dental fillings restore a tooth following cavity treatment. Today’s metal-free tooth-colored fillings can blend in seamlessly with your natural teeth. Tooth-colored fillings provide a number of health and aesthetic benefits over traditional metal fillings. Drs. W. Ashley Moorman, J. Barclay Woodward, and Bill Morman at Advanced Dental Care can restore the function of your bite and the beauty of your smile with tooth-colored fillings at their practice serving the greater Tifton, GA, area. Contact us today to learn more about how tooth-colored fillings can benefit you.
A Simple Procedure
To place a filling, your dentist will begin by removing decay or damaged portions before thoroughly cleaning the tooth. The composite filling material is applied to the treatment area, and then hardened with a curing light. Finally, your dentist can make small adjustments to ensure a comfortable fit with your bite patterns. Tooth-colored fillings require no special care aside from a good oral hygiene routine.
The Benefits of Tooth-colored Fillings
More patients are turning to tooth-colored fillings when they consider the many advantages:
- Mercury-free material: Tooth-colored fillings do not contain mercury, which can be found in trace amounts in traditional metal fillings. Although they have not been proven to be harmful, many patients are concerned mercury fillings will negatively affect their health.
- A lasting solution: Metal fillings expand over time, which can cause stress that results in fractures and cracks in the tooth. Tooth-colored fillings, on the other hand, wear at the same rate as your tooth, making it a much more compatible solution.
- No risk of allergic reaction: Although it is rare, some patients have allergic reactions to metal fillings. Much like skin allergies, these reactions may involve itching and rashes. Tooth-colored fillings do not cause allergic reactions.
- Unparalleled strength: Tooth-colored fillings bond directly to the tooth, allowing for a degree of stability that metal fillings simply cannot provide.
- Superior Aesthetics: Metal fillings can be obvious in appearance and detract from your smile. Even if metal is not on the biting surface of the tooth, the fillings can show through over time, giving the tooth a grayish, unhealthy appearance. With tooth-colored fillings, you can expect that your restored smile will look totally natural, so those around you will only notice your beautiful smile.
Fillings or Crowns?
While tooth-colored fillings are an excellent solution for most restoration work following cavity treatment, a dental crown may be a better solution if you require extensive treatment. Crowns are tooth-shaped caps that cover a compromised tooth to the gumline to restore function and aesthetics. During a consultation, your dentist can determine which solution will best meet your needs. For example, if you undergo a root canal, you will likely require a crown to support the tooth after the decayed tissue is removed.
Schedule a Consultation Today
Tooth-colored fillings can provide the support you need following cavity treatment, without compromising the aesthetics of your smile. Contact Advanced Dental Care today to find out about our restorative dentistry services, or to schedule your appointment.